Sunday, June 20, 2010

Presenting.........ViewTab!

Here it is.... finally. Go ahead,click on the link,and download and install the add-on (oh, and don't forget to give it 5 stars! ).After weeks of research (Googling, actually), a modest one and half day of coding, and another half-a-day of debugging, I was finally satisfied with it, so much that I decided to go ahead and submit it on the Mozilla Add-Ons website. I must say they have tough testing standards, so one can't do funny things and get away.
  • I had to upload it 5 times, as it threw trivial errors the first four times during the verification process.
  • I had to decrease the highest supported Firefox version on the add-on(I'd given 4.* :P), as it wasn't matching an already existing one.Essentially, it means you cannot design add-ons for upcoming versions of Firefox, you have to update your add-on after the new version is released.
  • The Add-On passed all tests, with a warning that said it didn't appear to be localized. Well, there's absolutely no text involved anywhere, so language isn't something I should worry about.
  • I had to select a category for it, before it could be transferred to the Sandbox (whatever that is!).
  • I even had to upload a preview screenshot, before the add-on could be made public.
  • And right now, its sitting there waiting to be reviewed, behind 41 other add-ons, as the page said when I last checked.
I'm too tired to write about the implementation right now, I'll definitely do that soon. Well,right now, it's party time!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've FF 3.0.19. This add-on is not working fr me. I just ve to move the pointer over other tabs, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well yes, move the pointer over a tab that's not selected and wait for a second. You should see the preview thumbnail. There's one bug, though. If a tab has been opened by clicking on a link in another tab, then the new tab doesn't have a preview thumbnail. I'll fix this and upload a new version soon.

    ReplyDelete