Tuesday, June 22, 2010

And Now.......Browser Turns Editor

An add-on a day, that's how it's been going for the last three days. Right now, I'll just post description of the add-on on the Mozilla Add-ons site. It goes like this:

Did you know that you can actually edit pages within Firefox! You can edit the text, apply simple formatting changes and re-size and move images, tables and other objects. All you need to do is turn on the 'Design Mode' of the document in the browser. Unfortunately, there is no way of doing that directly in Firefox. That's where this add-on comes in.

Select Tools->Toggle Design Mode, or just click on the pencil icon on the main toolbar to turn on the Design Mode of the document in the currently selected tab. That's it. Now you can edit the text on the page, and re-size, move, or remove images, tables and other elements on absolutely any web page. Well maybe that isn't too much, without advanced formatting options, but nevertheless it adds functionality to your browser. If you're not familiar with HTML and are looking to make a quick edit to a web page, or to a template you've downloaded, you can now do that without having to take the pain of going through the source or opening the file in another editor (if you have one).

Once you are done editing the the page, click on the menu item, or the toolbar button again, and the Design Mode will be turned off. Then you can save the page as usual by selecting File->Save As. At any moment, if you reload the page, the changes you have made will vanish (though they will still be present in the saved file, if you have saved the page). You can edit many tabs at the same time, and independently i.e. the Design Mode can be toggled on/off independently for each one of them.

I wish to develop this add-on further, like introduce a toolbar, so that it becomes possible to modify every element in page, without having to see the source. Till then, Happy Editing!

Developer Comments

This add-on is nothing more than a simple little tweak, and to many might seem like a silly joke. Well, my idea is to develop it further, and introduce a toolbar for better formatting options. That way people won't have to use other software to modify, or redesign web pages. Do get in touch with me if you are interested in developing this add-on.


Again, I promise I'll post the documentation later. By the way, I discovered a few bugs in View Tab, so I'll have to start fixing them now.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mike!
    This is a fantastic extension, that i always have been looking for, ever since i used the scrapbook extension. Now i can edit all my saved notes, tutorials and annotations, pictures etc. i start with opening a blank html file that i uploaded to my server, save it with scrapbook and edit it with "Browser Turns Editor": this way i can add and edit content from websites and add my own annotations in whatever way i like!

    PLEASE consider to add more functionality to that addon, such as headings, font size, font color and horizontal rule!

    Thank you very much for your work! Even if for you it may be just a tweak, for me it's a very useful tool!

    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Your addon is fantastic, i use it every day! :) Today Firefox 4 released, your plugin will support it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, your plugin will be updated to FF4??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    it seems all your extensions for FF were removed from Mozilla's website. Is there a reason for this? I particulary liked "Close multiple tabs" (it is working on FF4 too, if you change the version compatibility in the archive)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ProFfe$sor, Gustavo and Farvadin : Thank you very much for your response. I'm glad you found the Add-ons useful.

    @Farvadin : I myself have removed the extensions from Mozilla website, as I haven't worked on making them compatible for FF 4. I'll update them as soon as I find time, probably this summer. Again, thanks for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again Mike,

    I'm using your extension on FF4 without any problem, I just edited:

    /MYHOMEFOLDER/.mozilla/firefox/PROFILENAME.default/extensions/closemultipletabs@aakashns.blogspot.com/install.rdf

    and for < em:maxVersion > I changed 3.6 with:

    < em:maxVersion >4.6.*< /em:maxVersion >

    It seems everything is compatible and I hadn't any issue so far.

    ReplyDelete